Thursday, May 15, 2014

PDF Chart–> Inkscape SVG –> d3 Interactive Chart

I just spent the last couple of days updating myself on the newest research on currency management.  For the best real-time (delayed about a year) broad look, BIS puts out an incredibly helpful Triennial Central Bank Survey of foreign exchange... in which you see things like this

image

and this.

image

pdfs suffer from a lack of interactivity, so I thought why not use Inkscape’s PDF to SVG conversion to strip the above chart and make it SVG.  Then, if everything goes well, experiment with some basic interactivity provided by d3.js.  Here is what happened.

If anyone would like a more extensive write up of the process, please let me know.

4 comments:

  1. This is so cool.I am interested in how you linked these. Do you have the code on github?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it. The code (ugly) is at http://github.com/timelyportfolio/d3_bis . Let me know if I can help with anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks.I'll have to study this more to make sense of it . More on D3 fundamentals needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice
    read! Very informative. Something interesting: Japanese convenience store giant
    eyes Phl. Read it here: http://bit.ly/1kiUUdC.

    ReplyDelete