Monday, December 20, 2010

Wow on Hedge Funds, But What Does It Mean?

I spent way too much time today on Google’s new ngram tool which graphs the use of a word or phrase in its set of books.  I was absolutely amazed when I typed “hedge fund”  and found this Google Ngram on Hedge Funds

I thought the bubble burst in 2007, but evidently the trend based on the use of the term in books is still very clearly intact.  With a more narrow timeframe but more comprehensive dataset,  Google Trends http://trends.google.com/trends?q=hedge+fund&date=all&geo=us&ctab=0&sort=0&sa=N shows a different picture.

Generally, I like to follow the money to tell me the truth, but assets show both withdrawals and drawdowns.

 

hedgefundclosure-hedgefundjournal05-2010

 

From these I have to conclude that the trend towards hedge funds is still alive and kicking.

 

40 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment